Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hope

I know of no one who is not in need of hope—young or old, strong or weak, rich or poor."
James E. Faust

In the beginning of October, I received my mission "call" or assignment to serve as a missionary, and was told that I should report to the Training Center on March 20, 2013.  More commonly, missionaries have about a 3 month preparation gap, compared to my 5 months and 10 days (but who's counting?). I'm now down to only 56 days, which is significantly less than the original 162, but it's still a good 2 months away. Needless to say, waiting 5 months has been a trial, and quite the process.

It's hard to stay focused and motivated through these long months, and I've been getting anxious, excited, but a bit frustrated as I've been waiting and preparing, and watching others receive their calls and leave, meanwhile I'm still waiting...

During this preparation time, I've been studying the Bible and the Book of Mormon, trying to expand my knowledge of both. Particularly, I've been reading a lot about Christ, and learning to be more like Him. One attribute has stood out to me immensely, and its no wonder why.

In the New Testament, Paul teaches the Romans:
 "...we glory in tribulations, also knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience, and experience, hope.."(Romans 5:3-4). 
He also says:
"...we are saved by hope; if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it." (Romans 8:24-25)

In perfect correlation with the Bible, the Book of Mormon also teaches:
"Whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." (Ether 12:4)

I've realized that I need to find hope in my "trials", and glory in "tribulations". As I wait and prepare for March 20th, and the year and a half that will follow, I cannot watch time pass me by, and ask God why can't I go now, but rather be grateful for the time that I have here, to gain experience, learn patience, and find hope in my life. 

I believe in God. And I have hope in His son Jesus Christ. I'm learning and trying every day to be more like Him. Christ taught about Hope, and in Christ I can find hope, I just need to be patient, and Believe.  








1 comment:

  1. 5 months is a long time, but it's getting there. My report date was about 3 months away from when I received my call.

    Luckily, I was in school at the time, so time went quickly. I only had a less than a month being at home before I left again.

    ReplyDelete