Monday, February 25, 2013

A Child's Prayer

Spencer, Kendra, and I used to share a bedroom when we were kids. One of our favorite church songs was called "A Child's Prayer". The first two verses could be sang simultaneously as the last verse was slowly sung. Almost every night, we would attempt to sing these together. We were never very good, but we sang it all the time :) 
(Me, Spencer, Kendra in 2004)
The three of us were together in January, and for old time's sake, we sang it again. It made me smile as I remembered us as kids, but then realized a few things. I got to thinking about the next 18 months, and that I'll miss spending that time with those closest to me. I was also realizing that my family and closest friends will never be at that point again, as kids sharing the same bedroom, living in our parents comfortable home, and always having each other around; to play with, to talk to, or to just be with.  A lonely feeling came to me when I thought about the directions our different lives were headed. Missions, college, marriage, new families, careers, and whatever else. It's all very exciting, and it isn't like I won't be with these people again, it will just be different. I imagined some of the lonely nights I would have in the next 18 months in New York.  But just as soon as I started to feel alone, the feeling was gone.
I remembered the words to "A Child's Prayer". 

"Heavenly Father, are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?
Some say that Heaven is far away, but I feel it close around me as I pray.

Heavenly Father, I remember now, something that Jesus told disciples long ago,
Suffer the children to come to me. Father, in prayer I'm coming now to Thee.


Pray, He is there. Speak, He is listening. You are His child. His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayers. He loves the children. Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of Heaven."

God is always there for me. He is not only my God, but my loving Father in Heaven. I may not be a "child" anymore, but I'm still a daughter of God, and things will never change between Him and I. I've relied on Him this far in my life, and I will continue to have faith in Him as I leave home and the comforts of my family and friends, and go forward to share the truth of His church. 

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! You have been so blessed to have an incredible family and you will feel the power of their love every day because you know they will be thinking and praying for you everyday! I am so excited for you to embark on a new adventure. March is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories and experiences like that are precious and not everyone has the opportunity to live it. I hope you'll bring many to that wonderful fulfillment throughout your mission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post Lyn. I loved reading this, it brought back a lot of good memories!

    ReplyDelete