Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Valentines Day.

Seeing as I'm leaving for an 18 month mission in less than 30 days, it's a little inconvenient to be in a "relationship", or to be dating someone special on this Valentines Day. I've never been one to dislike Vday, regardless of my dating status... until this year. I've always been a  hopeless romantic, if you will, and if I've found myself "alone" on Valentines Day in the past, I always thought to myself, "I'm going to change this soon", and I usually did. However, this year I couldn't help but think that I'm intentionally going to be single for the next 19 months of my life. Oh dear...

It really shouldn't be a big deal (and it isn't), I'm only 21 years old. However, sometimes little outside factors seem to add up, and you end up becoming frustrated.                     Which is what happened this year.

Then I decided to open my eyes to what LOVE really means.

"Love is the very essence of life. It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. 
Yet it is more than the end of the rainbow. Love is at the beginning also, 
and from it springs the beauty that arches across the sky on a stormy day." 
Gordon B. Hinckley.


Even with the absence of "special someone" this week, this Valentines has been filled with so many tender mercies and answers to my prayers... Something (more than one) magical really did happen this Valentines. 

*My friend Kennedy sent me the Princess Valentines card (^above) , along with heart cut outs of quotes about what love really is (one of those quotes being the one from President Hinckley that I quoted above). We also made plans for her to come visit me for my farewell (March 10). 

*I had another friend Sarah fly into town for a few days just so we could spend time together before I left.

*I spent the night of Valentines babysitting and playing like I was a kid again, and once she was asleep, I was able to talk to my friend Jennifer on the phone and catch up with her. :)


*My mom made a very special Valentines Day dinner, wanting nowhere in hearts. 

*My old roommate Melynn and I were able to briefly talk this week, 
but (as always) she somehow made me just feel better :)

*I was filled with love, and the Holy Ghost Sunday night as my very special friend Ana bore truth of how much our Father in Heaven loves us, and is there for us through everything. The Gospel changes everything. 
  
*Not to mention, my wonderful family took a drive up to Northern New Mexico to see the Rio Grande Gorge bridge just because I asked if we could. It was beautiful!



I am so loved!  And it doesn't take a relationship for me to see that. 
Thanks everyone for a very special Valentines Day! 

1 comment:

  1. You are loved - a LOT!! So blessed by your amazingness and example!

    ReplyDelete